(Image source: flickr)
I guess my problem was I simply couldn't put a finger on what went wrong and why did it have to end that way. I think it was mainly anger that stood in my way. When the anger subsided, the picture grew crystal clear. It just wasn't meant to be. I tried deluding myself for 2 years thinking that he was the one but yeah he just wasn't it. It didn't matter if we had dragged the relationship on for 2-3 years more, it just wouldn't work out.
I created a little Heartbreak Self-Help 101
When dealing with a breakup,
- Go out. Staying home alone is heartbreak suicide.
- Get rid of sad music, especially music that reminds you of your ex. Create playlists consisting of only happy music.
- Get busy. Distract yourself with a new hobby, CCA, class or something.
- Take down all photos of him. You don't have to throw them away if you're not ready. You just need to help yourself with the recuperation process and seeing his face around your room isn't gonna help.
- Delete his messages and pictures from your phone. The phone is the deadliest weapon during this point of vulnerability. Last thing you wanna do is read his messages when you're out and have to resort to crying in the toilet cubicle. (I've been there, done that. It really sucks, I would know.)
- Don't date, yet. Surround yourself with friends whom you trust. You're fragile and vulnerable. Douchebags will find you easy prey and you really don't want to make stupid mistakes that will make you hate yourself.
- Don't find comfort in food. You will regret it once you're ready to date again. That said, don't starve yourself either.
- Don't bring your credit card out shopping.
- Stop checking out his progress on Facebook.
- Tell your friends to stop giving you updates about him. Actually they should already know that. If they don't then tell them to stfu.
But the best advice I can give to all aching hearts out there is: Time will numb the pain. You just need to give it a chance to work its magic. Until then, hang out with your friends but please give your phone to someone else for safekeeping if you know you're gonna get smashed. Last thing you wanna do it drunk-dial your ex.
"Sometimes love comes around and it knocks you down but just get back up when it knocks you down."

awww man why didn't you ask me to read this during my tragic breakup period? still ongoing now though.. this helps. (:
ReplyDeletei had to discover this little nugget of wisdom through your formspring account. >:(
ReplyDeleteHahahaha oops well you have me in the flesh to help you! You're damn strong la Beat. You're doing really well. I'm uber proud of you. :)
ReplyDelete