I've been toying with the idea of getting another tattoo. No wait, scratch that. I know I want to get another tattoo. I even know what I want to get already. I want to get that dragonfly you see up there. My little obsession with dragonflies began when my mommy gave me a silver bracelet (that I wear all the time) with a dragonfly on it. She told me that dragonflies represent the ability to go through change as they too, like the butterfly, go through metamorphosis. This led to me investigating a little more about the underrated insect and the more I found out, the more I liked it.
The symbols of a dragonfly changes with different cultures. To the westerners, dragonflies are often associated with the devil and evil-doing. In fact, they are nicknamed to be "eye-snatchers". To the easterners, the Japanese in particular, dragonflies represent a multitude of positive characteristics such as strength, agility, freedom and beauty. Freedom because dragonflies have a really short life-span of a couple of months. Hence, it represents the freedom to live life to the fullest. It represents beauty because of its iridescent body and its ability to create rainbows when the sunlight reflect off its wings.
Isn't it amazing?! I'm just not sure if I want to incorporate some colour into it or where should I place it. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards just a teensy hint of purples and blues here and there and to place it... on my right shoulder blade. Second problem, I'm not exactly into the tattoo scene so I don't know much about tattoo artists and their work and I know I definitely need a tattoo artist with beautiful line-work and steady hands for this tattoo. Any recommendations, anyone???
Before I go, I shall leave you with a couple of my favourite dragonfly haikus.
I stand
between skin and breath
Winter evening
-Melissa Allen (The Haiku Project)
The dragonfly!
Distant mountains reflected in
his eyes
-Issa
TTFN~

I WANNA GO WITH YOU.
ReplyDeleteOkay!! But I have to do two thing first.
Delete1) Save money and,
2) Find a good tattoo artist.
Do you know anyone who can do linework like this??? What about your tattoo artist, Nik!?
Haha, email him and ask!
ReplyDeleteI'm partial to him and I think he does really good work but I'm biased no? hehehehe
I have plans for another one and I'm going back to him..when I have the money