Friday, June 29

Willard Suitcase Project










(Image source: Jon Crispin)

I stumbled upon this beautiful project on pinterest and I immediately knew I had to share this. A photographer Jon Crispin has recently begun photographing vintage suitcases and their contents.

In 1995, the Willard Psychiatric Centre closed down and whilst the New York State Museum staff were moving items out of the centre, they unearthed an attic full of old suitcases. These cases were stored in the attic when their owners were admitted to Willard. These people never left. Hence, leaving their suitcases behind, uncollected.

This project is so beautiful. Some of the patients brought little to almost nothing at all. There was a suitcase full of rolling papers (for ciggies), tobacco, an empty toothpaste box and rope. That's all. Others revealed beautifully hand-sewn and embroidered frocks. I mean, what would you pack in your suitcase if you knew that you were going to be admitted to a mental hospital? It's quite obvious who had hopes of leaving and who didn't...

Read more detailed descriptions about each suitcase and its contents here.

2 comments:

  1. Post are very interesting,I really like your blog & the way

    you wriiten it ..Thanks for sharing this creative ideas.suitcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! :)
      I'm just glad you enjoyed the project. I found it hauntingly beautiful too.

      Delete