Friday, August 19

How to talk to little girls


(Image sources: Dezdemonas)


I read this awesome article (How to Talk to Little Girls) by Lisa Bloom via A Cup of Jo awhile back and I've always wanted to talk about it but never really got down to it. I was reminded about it again when my little cousin called me to invite me to her place for tea and cookies. Uhm, how precious is that?!

I think it's an important reminder to anyone who has little girls in their lives. I spend hours playing and talking to my little cousin during family gatherings and it's always so easy to tell her how cute her new dress or hairband is (my aunt really goes all out to dress her little princess) but we really shouldn't.

"Teaching girls that their appearance is the first thing you notice tells them that looks are more important that anything else," - Bloom

Instead, ask them about their feelings and ideas about issues and situations. For example, how they feel about Christmas and what do they like about the festival or you can ask them about their day at school. Kids tend to talk so much more about their day than adults do. They do not have any inhibitions about their day being "too boring" or  "inappropriate". They just talk. :) My pet question would be to ask what their favourite books are. It always gets my little cousin going and she will feel the need to show me the book which will eventually lead to me reading to her.

I always try to read to her whenever I go over instead of just playing pretend and colouring. Hahaha I know. I am really quite adamant about making kids reading from young. Hahaha I'll be the jiejie who buys her favourite books. :D And who will always be up for a game or two of course.

Bloom also mentioned in her article that 25 per cent of American women would rather win America's Next Top Model instead of the Nobel Peace Prize so... "here's to changing the world, one little girl at a time." :)

I don't mean to sound preachy but the topic was a little dear to me. I want to play my part by helping my cousin be the little lady that she will eventually be.

No comments:

Post a Comment